Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Rivalry By Any Other Name..


I have zero time for this post, but I figure if I don't seize the moment now while this Man United v. Man City game is still fresh in everyone's mind it probably won't have the same impact later. Unfortunately I missed the game today, had to work. I did however manage to sneak away just long enough to hop on my boss's laptop and catch that sick header by Kompany. 
As I was gearing up to not watch, but follow this game via twitter (what a let down right) I was recalling all the articles I’d come across leading up to this game. I believe it was David Hirshey who said it best when he labeled this match as the "Gem in the Prem" 

Now I've only been following the beautiful game since 2006, but you don't need to be a soccer genius to know that Manchester City has played second fiddle to United for quite some time now, à la Clippers to Lakers, leaving these match day fixtures mostly a formality for the boys from Old Trafford. Light Work. That was until 2008 when Sheik Monsour got bored and figured, “ah what the hell, I’m gonna buy a football club today.” At least that’s how I imagine the idea impulsively flashed across his mind. Fast forward to present day and here we are, witnessing the fruits of the Sheik’s labor. We watched as one of the greatest football clubs of the Premier League era uncharacteristically relinquished its eight-point lead atop the Barclays table to their sky blue neighbors.

All of this hoopla got me to thinking about our own American rivalries. To name a few standouts, I think of classics like Celtics/Lakers, Yankees/Red Sox or a little closer to home Cowboys/Eagles. When you think about it none of those probably come close to the intensity of that City/United game that was played earlier today. I mean yeah, all the aforementioned rivalries are heated and provide their own particular bite, but none of those fans have to cohabitate with one another on a daily basis. I mean sure, your always going to have that one random guy who loved Emmitt Smith as a kid and refuses to root for his home team, but for the most part, the South Jersey/Philadelphia community is going to root for the Eagles. (That is of course when we’re not hating their guts)

So what do you do when there’s two home teams? How do you even decide? Now, I haven’t taken the time to scour all the major sports and compare rivalries, like I said, I’ve got homework. However, at a quick glance, most sports fans in this country don’t have to make the tough decision a choosing between two teams, let alone two powerhouse teams (sorry Mets/Clipper fans) Which brings me to the point of this entire spiel, while there our a few markets in this country which are large enough to accommodate two professional teams within the same sport, the remainder markets can not. Then you look at really any of these teams from the big leagues over in Europe (the Prem, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga) and the proximity in which these fans are from each other and you really get a sense of rivalries can be. No wonder there’s always rioting and other crazy shenanigans.  Can you imagine for a second, if by some random act of God all of Boston were whisked away and set it down in New York? Or even better take all the Cowboy fans and relocate them to Philly?! It’d be pure bedlam I tell ya. HAH! Also, I think it goes without saying, but I have no intentions of taking anything away from our good ol’ American rivalries, just viewing them from a different perspective is all, in light of my fútbol knowledge.

Oh yeah, and to all the Citeh fans out there, congrats, looks like those United/City meetings just got a little bit more entertaining, enjoy the ride. Here’s to being a little less of an afterthought mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment