Friday, September 14, 2012

The Breakdown: WCQ US v. Jamaica


Tim Howard was his usual self tonight, made the necessary saves when he was called upon and yelled at his defense in a way only a goalkeeper can J

I thought Cherundolo's crosses into the area needed to be better, but his defending was pretty good given his speed and age. Good understanding with Zusi. I felt like there was a 10-15 minute stretch where it was just those two playing.

Cameron was decent on the night. Got turned around pretty good on that Luton Shelton break away, but other than that he was pretty solid, strong in the air. 

Bocanegra had a good night; don't really remember any big faults. He too was strong in the air. 

Zusi played surprisingly well for this being his first "big game" SKC will surely benefit from his recent stretch with the USMNT. Wish he had been the one to send in more crosses as opposed to Cherundolo, but I liked what I saw out of Zeus tonight. 

Now Danny Williams I was less surprised about. I've been able to see him play a couple games for Hoffenheim and I thought he was just as good then. Also, it doesn't take a genius to realize that a player will improve once placed into his natural position PAGING MR. KINSMAN!

I remember in the early Jermaine Jones days I didn't know much about him, but he sent a beautiful over the top pass to Jozy for an assist versus Poland Watch Here  and I remember thinking, wow, this guy can pass! Further along into his USMNT career and my thoughts remain the same. He's a great passer of the ball, case in point, 36’ USA v Jamaica www.watchespn.com Jones pass to Zusi, which he dummied. My only issue with Jermaine is that sometimes he tries to pull of the impossible pass when the simple would suffice. All in all, I thought he had a solid performance. Now let’s see some consistency.

Jose Torres *sigh*…  seems like every article I came across was over the moon about Torres game. I really don't see what was so great about it... He didn't really add or take away for me. Yea he was solid on the ball, no joke Sherlock, he has the best control on the team. But we've got him on the outside so.... Did he kill it as a rw/rm? No. He controlled the ball well, and kept it moving, nothing spectacular. Not a JFT hater, quite the opposite. I just don't think he's being utilized properly. You wouldn’t get mad at a teacher for failing to teach physics properly when degree is in history, so why should Jürgen be so "frustrated with his play"? Play him in natural position dammit! (sorry, rant over)

Dempsey looked like you’d expect someone to look like after not playing for three months. I’m not worried about this guy. Him, Michael Bradley and Tim Howard are the most important players on the squad IMO and barring any injury I’m sure they’ll be ready to deliver when called upon.

Gomez had a monster game. He was my man of the match, good runs, great hunger and scoring the game winner doesn't hurt. I like that he’s finally being given the chance to show what he can do. I hope that some other national teamers will get their shots in the upcoming months as well.

Jozy didn’t really do much to win back his starting spot in the limited minutes he got. Hopefully that doesn’t hurt his confidence too much. I take him as the fragile type.

Brek looked like I he has all season long for FC Dallas, subpar.

Edu added energy for some tired legs I guess? *Ron Burgandy shrug* Hopefully the Stoke move helps his midfield game...

No comments:

Post a Comment