Thursday, November 8, 2012

Who's Going to Brazil: November '12 Edition






Who’s going to Brazil, or at least in contention? Here’s my list of players I think have an opportunity to make it. Each position ordered by where I think they currently stand in the pecking order.

GK
    1. Tim Howard
    2. Brad Guzan
    3. Nick Rimando
    4. Steve Clark
    5. Sean Johnson
    6. Bill Hamid

CB
    1. Carlos Bocanegra
    2. Geoff Cameron
    3. Omar Gonzalez
    4. Clearance Goodson  
    5. Matt Besler
    6. John Anthony Brooks
    7. Oguchi Onyewu
    8. Tim Ream
    9. Maurice Edu*

I don’t even think Edu is a CB, but Jurgen does, so… yea.        *Kanye shrug* 


RB
    1. Steve Cherundolo
    2. Michael Parkhurst
    3. Eric Lichaj
    4. Tim Chandler* (#2 if he commits)

LB
    1. Fabian Johnson
    2. Edgar Castillo
    3. Eric Lichaj
    4. Tim Chandler* (#1 if he commits)

CM
    1. Michael Bradley
    2. Danny Williams
    3. Jermaine Jones
    4. Sacha Kjlestan
    5. Graham Zusi
    6. Mix Diskerud
    7. Conor O’Brien  
    8. Jose Torres
    9. Maurice Edu
*Stuart Holden* (#2 if he comes back the same player who won Bolton POY)

RM
    1. Landon Donovan
    2. Graham Zusi
    3. Alejandro Bedoya
    4. Josh Gatt

LM
    1. Fabian Johnson
    2. Chris Pontius
    3. Brek Shea
    4. Damarcus Beasley

ST/CF
    1. Clint Dempsey
    2. Jozy Altidore
    3. Eddie Johnson
    4. Herculez Gomez
    5. Terrance Boyd
    6. Chris Wondolowski
    7. Aron Johannsson* (#4 if he commits)


Formation: 4-1-3-2



Follow me @UnionYank

2 comments:

  1. Interesting-- if not eclectic list.
    Shea is in front of Pontius as of right now. No doubt about it.
    If this list is about players for 2014, I think Gatt should be higher on your list. I see Gatt, Landon, and Zusi all in Brazil. Also, Goodsen in my opinion is playing himself off of the plane. Not enough strength, and has been overall very poor. I agree with Dempsey at #1, but Gomez has been our most consistent striker. Still unsure about Altidore at USMNT level. I like the 4-1-3-2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking at this list from a perspective of "what have you done for me lately" in terms of league play and for the USMNT. Bedoya has been playing 90 mins consistently and assisting/scoring, where as Gatt's been kind of seeing varied minutes since returning from injury. Brek's had a miserable year, where as Pontius has had an outstanding one. I agree though, I think Brek has more potential then Pontius, as well as Gatt > Bedoya, but as of "right now" that's where I think these guys sit. Thanks for the input, I love it!

    ReplyDelete